Sunday, September 30, 2012

The saving grace of a Native American Prayer





Great Spirit Prayer


Oh great spirit whose voice in the wind I hear,  and whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me! Small and weak
I am, your strength and wisdom I need.


Make me to walk in beauty and in a sacred manner.

Make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunsets.
Make my hands and heart respect all that you have made. 
Make my ears sharp to hear your voice and receive spiritual guidance, when I sincerely ask for a sign, a vision, a dream, or a prayer answered.



Make me wise so that I may understand the things you have already taught my people. Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every rock, leaf and herb.


I seek your strength not to be greater than my brother or sister, but to love my greatest ally, myself.  

Make me always ready to live my life with your eyes smiling upon me, when my deeds or thoughts are examined by me and you.


Make me always ready to treat my brothers, sisters, and Mother Nature’s creations as I want to be treated: with love, justice, honor, dignity, integrity and respect.


When life fades like the fading sunset, let my eyes be clear, my hands and heart free of bloodshed, destruction, hatred or disrespect for Mother Earth so that my spirit may come to you without shame.



1 comment: